Monday, September 13, 2004

Painting the driveway....

I spent this weekend working on seal-coating my driveway. Saturday was the fill the crack portion of the adventure, while Sunday would be the main event. It went well, other than the fact that I ran out of sealant with about a 4x4 section still unpaved. No big deal, as it only took 2 1/2 5 gal pails to complete this driveway. The last one I did, which was about 1/2 the length of my current one, took 12 pails to cover because it soaked up the crap so quickly we couldn't spread it. That was a fiasco that I hope to never deal with again.

My boys came out to the front to investigate what I was doing. They quickly noted that I was painting the driveway. Now this may sound funny, but I have a neighbor with a painted driveway.

Joe passed on a couple months ago from an incredibly aggressive cancer. He was older, maybe late 60's or early 70's. He was very maticulous with his house and his yard. I remember seeing him out in the yard early in the morning with his weed puller getting rid of those pesky dandelions. There were many days where I found him doing touch-up work on the paint on his house or sweeping the dust off of his patio. His driveway always made me smile. While mine is an asphalt drive, his is made of concrete. When we first moved in I was amazed at how white his driveway was and wondered if he used a bleach or some special cleaner on it in order to keep it that way. I quickly found out when I caught him out there with his paint and his roller stick. He said he put a new coat on every year. He liked the way it would shine and he liked how smooth it made the drive. I am debating if, as a tribute to Joe, I should grab the black paint and give mine a special coat, just for him.

Although Joe is missed by all of us, I can guarantee that Heaven's lawn has never been better kept. Keep the mower tuned up for me, Joe!!!!

2 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger antiSWer said...

Why stick with black? I say go purple just for the hell of it or maybe even green to match the grass (or yellow?). All the people in helicopters and planes will think you just park on the lawn.

I'm so glad I live in an apartment. :)

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice story, WT...

We have a neighbor like that, too. She NEVER leaves the house, really, except that she futzes with the lawn all the time. And her yard is gorgeous. But she never goes anywhere beyond the yard. Odd.

I was telling my daughter about the saying, "The grass is always greener..." and trying to point out the metaphor there. That the grass isn't REALLY greener, but that it's a matter of perception. She said, "Except at our house. The grass really IS greener at the neighbor's..."

Di

 

Post a Comment

<< Home