Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Personalities Collide

On our drive home from Iowa on Sunday evening, my wife and I took a survey regarding personality types. We once again found that we are at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to surveys.

Needless to say, neither of us were suprised at the outcome. This surveyed confirmed, once again, that my wife is a Promoter. She is always looking to be the center of attention and seeks out recognition as often as possible. This is one of the things that I dislike most about the people I work with. They are contantly seeking approval and recognition for minute things. I cannot tell you how many worthless little "certificates" I have received since I started. I will occassionaly get a little flack my co-workers for not displaying them. That generally fades when I tell them that I know I do my job well and don't feel the need to make sure everyone else knows it. :)

My wife's personality, although I despise it at work, I adore it at home. She is the one who is always pushing our family and encouraging me to take risks that I don't feel comfortable taking. It is one of those traits that you don't like about people, but yet it is one if the things that you love most - if that makes sense.


I, on the other hand, am a Diplomat. I avoid conflict at all cost. I am the mediator that calms the storms and tries to bring peace to discussion that is getting heated. My desire to avoid conflict drives my wife batty. I will all too often just let comments and wrong-doings just roll off of me rather than confronting the person. Not that I am avoiding an argument, but more that it is not a big deal when you look at the big picture.

I wonder if God brings opposite personalities together so that the children will be exposed to a broader spectrum. Hmm........



I will see if I can find an electronic version of the quiz - if not, maybe I will get a little motivated and type it out.

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back!

I think it's interesting that the type of personality you hate at work is something you love at home...

I'm not sure I get it, but it's something to ponder.

And wow. You've been busy here since returning. I told you it's addictive! ;)

Di

 

Post a Comment

<< Home