Thursday, August 26, 2004

Sometimes the small ones are the best

One of the blessings in my life has always been my wife and my boys. That may sound like a standard answer that you would hear from most people, but I truly believe that they are a blessing to me.

It seems that no matter how bad or how long my day at work is, there is always someone waiting for me when I walk through the door of the house. Literally! As I pull in the driveway, I click the button and the garage begins to open. As I pull the truck in and gather my papers and my lunch box, I turn down the radio so as not to be blasted the next morning when I leave for work. Grab all my belongings and walk over to the door. As I reach for the door I can already hear them getting into position. the door opens and I am greeted with a boisterous "Welcome Home!! We Miss You!! We Love You!!!" by 2 boys with glowing smiles on their faces. They then race down the stairs to give me hugs and tell me what we should have for dinner.


The first couple weeks that this went on I found it enjoyable. the next 6 months I found it rather tiresome and really wouldn't have minded if it went away. But as the road of life has grown more difficult, I take solace daily in knowing that THIS is what it is all about. All the hours we put in on training, and explaining and truly trying to reach the hearts of our children comes rushing out like water breaking through a dam. Now, to be honest, on days that I come home early and one of them is still napping, I feel slightly cheated that I missed out on "the greeting". I think the part of this whole act that makes it the blessing that it is, is the fact that it requires no prompting from their mother or I for this to happen. Yes - they are dangerously similar to Pavlov's dog, but you have to train first through repetition before you can train the heart.

So if you are ever in the area, and in need of a pick-me-up. Look me up and I will be more than happy to lend you my garage door opener.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Diana said...

"...you have to train first through repetition before you can train the heart."

Words of wisdom. I'll think on that.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Brian said...

IT may not hold true for the older kids....but the younger the child, the more accurate this is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home