Monday, September 27, 2004

40 Days of Purpose - Day 1

Yesterday was the start of this 6 week program.


Day 1 - It is not about you.


This title reminded me of a time when we were in church. The music starts and people begin singing and dancing: "It's all about you. It's all about you. etc..." My Sister-in-Law was in town and had joined us. Over the rest of the congregation, I hear this little twist on the words coming from both my wife and her sister - "It's all about me. It's all about me. etc.." I found out later that they had always made fun of this song and claimed that it was just the church's way of getting everyone to sing to the 2 of them. That everyone was really trying to convince them that it was really all about them. I laughed at their little joke, but only a courtesy laugh. j/k




So, it really isn't about me?? I guess that I always knew this, so this is not really that big of a shock. In my younger days, my ego was a little larger, so you may have seen more of an argument from me, but I have come to understand that world no longer revolves around me.

Although, I do remember watching the movie The Truman Show a couple years ago. I really enjoyed the movie. The whole premise of the movie really stuck with me for a few weeks as I tried to determine if it was possible for something like that to happen. If it did, how would you know? I figured, you only know the things that you are told, the things you read, or the things you see(experience). How do you know that there is more out there than what you already know? Just because you learn something new tomorrow? Who's to say that this new thing wasn't conjured up overnight for you to learn tomorrow? All the people that you meet were placed in your life for a particular reason. All the things that happen to you, happen for a reason. That movie actually helped me to realize that there was the possibility of a greater power in charge over my life. I felt pretty small that week as I sat and realized that I only know, what I know.


So, as much as I realize that it's "Not about me." Maybe it does have something to do with me.



We will have our small group meeting at our house tomorrow evening. I only know 1 of the 12 people that will be there. It should be lots of fun.


1 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger antiSWer said...

That one's hard for me. If it's not about me, then why is it so important for me to know myself. I personally think that as much as we're ossibly just a cog in the machine, we all live in our own little worlds and that's always going to be the most important thing. What we can learn from other people and give to the world is only an addition. We're the main, stable house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home